Sasha Pylnikov 1
A small drawing on a piece of computer paper made by Jesse Newberg with glitter crayons turnt up to a very large oil painting.
Sasha Pylnikov 2
Thanks to Marshall Ball for modeling for this one.
The Lotos-Eaters
This one's around 6 feet long I think
Sasha Pylnikov 3
Marshall models here again.
4 comments:
i love these colors and the spaces of canvas that feel like a void or palimpsest but still have something to say; empty not-empty
loverly!
totally, completely amazing! the figures live in their spaces in much more sophisticated ways than I've seen you paint before. awesome.
-elizabeth (not cara)
the first one is killer, the others are nice paintings, but still trapped by the figure (figure painting that is) really though, that first is wonderful.
thx guys.
Josh,
do you think the "figure painting" basis of the paintings is limiting or detrimental to the work? I'm starting to think that what I'm most interested in is the energy and movement of the physical act of painting, color, texture, pattern, and a diversity of touches/techniques. I've always used to figure as a way to ground or organize my work. Do you think it would be more effective to pursue these things with more abstract subject matter (ie the first painting, which I consider a portrait)?
really appreciate the feedback
Post a Comment