Monday, July 6, 2009

Fire Lite



I made a camp stove for my bike trip out of three heinecken can bottoms. I got the instructions for it here. It weighs next to nothing, lights easily (although I always have to put a bit of fuel under the penny first), and is super efficient. You can read the website if you're really interested in how it works, but basically the penny covers a hole in the center of the burner. You fill the top with alcohol, light it, and as it heats up the penny lifts, letting fuel into the bottom compartment. Then
that fuel starts to boil, sending flammable gas up through the six jets, and they light from the fire on top, and you have yourself 6 jets of flame.



I also made a pot stand. The stove fits really nicely right in the center, and it folds down to almost flat, and it doesn't weigh much either.



Also, depending on my gear set-up for the trip, I think I'm going to make a garden box with herbs (rosemary, sage, and maybe some other low-growing, strong plants) to mount to my front or rear rack. Then wherever I go I'll have fresh seasoning to throw into my otherwise probably bland dishes that I'll cook before sleeping behind a Seven-Eleven in Podunk, Nowhere.

I'm excited. You probably should be too.

Let's throw in one for good measure (copyright infringement?):

4 comments:

CARA! said...

Hey, that's really neat. It's so simple I want to make one just for the hell of it/a reason for more beer drinking. Also it's really nice here and I think at some point we will go camping. It would be really cute if you had a herb garden, maybe it would make nice ladies across the country more likely to take you in/take advantage of you.

-C

(Elizabeth really likes the picture with the nice man and the barbie)

Travis said...

I think that I want to join you.
I can also now, after leading a camping trip of twelve teenage girls, can make a fire in under five minutes in the woods. Which I guess would be unnecessary. But maybe we could cook multiple food items at the same time.

Rod! said...

ur stove is soo coool!

now because the can is a mini keg can, if we got three kegs, do you think we could make a huge keg stove? it'd be fun to see this on a much larger scale (if even the mini keg style.) mostly i just want realize my dream of a metalophone keg orchestra. one day!

have a nice trip! Also, traveling herbs are the future. as Cara said, the ladies like the horticulturists. it was soooooo good to see you in MT!

Cameron H. Rowland said...

i hate that picture of you matt

you look fat