Recently, I've found designing straight from the computer screen a bit limiting. These designs definitely look as though they were generated on the computer. I've talked to Rod about this to some extent, but you start designing within the parameters that a specific program operates under. For that reason I bought a nice book of graph paper and I've been sketching out some letterforms at night with the intent of crafting some sort of typeface later in the summer. Probably a display face.
With all that being said, I'm fairly content with these initial sketches (done entirely in adobe illustrator). There aren't any winners here, but I figure you got to get some ideas on the table in order to know what direction to move towards or away from. Let me know what you guys think or if you got any questions. don't be afraid of hurting my feelings. lets make this shit sexy.
semi-circles 1:





I was thinking about using the abstracted letterforms as a clipping mask for images. literally a frame through which you can document a moment in time (which is kind of what this blog is doing?):
the first image is of a park in new canaan and the second is a picture of matt I took on his 21st birthday. sorry, matt.


semi-circles 2:




On a separate note, can everyone post more often, please? I need more distractions and hearing about what you are all doing is the best kind. It will also make me feel less guilty about posting frequently, which I intend on doing.
I would upload the illustrator file if I new how/is that possible? in the mean time, email me if you would like it and I'll happily send it your way.
|-|unter
EDIT:
ok, lauren pointed out a flaw in the first set of letterforms (supposed to spell 'cascus' if that was not clear). This flaw was bothering me, so I went back and changed that shit up:


8 comments:
Look at your hunter-y designs!
also, I made a website (it's only sort of done) and I linked to yours. Hope that's ok.
carastewart.com
you're on the links page.
ps. your site looks nice.
-C
that picture of matt is the gayest thing you have ever done. period.
c
thanks for the helpful feedback, claire! really, is that the GAYEST thing I've EVER done???
h
heehehehehheeeeeee i'm really into your later designs. the middle one white on gray is super exciting.
xoxo
c
Hunter,
Sweet things! i like the semicircles. its like a protractor party!! i really do like using the letter forms as a mask for images. we could even do an animated gif, and make them flash!!! (seizures!)
...or maybe something more subtle. but, they are sweet.
and cara, your website is also awesome. you guys are great.
i agree, flashing
The second set of letters looks a lot more readable, and i would have to agree they're sexier. It does kind of look like a tag on a surf company's clothing line. Which I like, personally. maybe a moving gif could have a changing landscape in the background, much like our changing cascuses. it could be like this crazy shit in the elevator of the new Standard Hotel:
http://nofatclips.com/02009/06/16/civilization/Civilization.mp4
It's pretty baroque and pretty sick.
Post a Comment