These are pics of a show I'm currently freakingouton/installing at a gallery space downtown called Tractor. There is a block called the Everett Street Lofts downtown, and there are all of these rent-controlled loft live/work spaces. 16 of the spaces are on the ground floor, and they're required to open the studios to the public 9 times a year. Our friend Ben Young, who we're working with for Appendix's July programming, had a show at Tractor last month. (Check out a great review of it with photos here.) I started to draw on the walls, but they were too bumpy. You'd think I would have checked that out first. I didn't. So, then I said TAPE. So, I got lots of fucking tape. Shiny aluminum tape. Shitty blue tape. Really nice pthalo blue tape. light green tape (i don't use it) MASKING tape, black electric tape (skinny and regular) pthalo blue duct tape, because the store didn't have it in the masking. (I said fuck them in my head a lot in that store). So little tape variety, during the only time in my life I have really really wanted to go tape shopping. I wished a home depot upon them.
I have just been shitting tape onto the wall since Friday night. Using a projector image as a base. (The overall structure is based on the landscape the gallery sits in, the mountain, and the bowl into the hills that the city rests in. The hills are closer, and feel pressing, so the line smashes up against the higher windows, and the mountain is farther away and lower, but instinctively stronger.) I'm currently in the process of cutting the projector image into collage chunks. The places where the image hits the aluminum tape and graphite is really great, it adds a strange sci-fi museum feeling. I think I can hack the projector into an unrecognizable but still activating image and end up with a really fractal/crystalline/landscape/structure thing in the room.


Edit: Shit it's light out. Here's a photoshop version of what I think it will look like.
No comments:
Post a Comment