Saturday, July 30, 2011

Art or Work?


Stupid title, I know. "Art" I mean.

I've been wrestling with this idea for along time, and have come to a beginning of a discussion: I'd like to stop calling what I do Art. I don't think it serves anyone except those who cannot discern creative expression from constrained expression. I will no longer believe in a category making what I do interesting or contemplative or real. I know you all think about this too, so perhaps we can start a dialogue about this.

For the past few months I have become more and more involved my day job, consistently working 60 hours a week making models, drawing in AutoCAD and figuring out problems. I work in Landscape Architecture more and more, making my own work less and less. Recently, I found myself with an assignment to figure out all the handicap-accessible curb cuts on the street corners surrounding a large plaza I've been working on. It is a boring task to calculate spot grades and percent slopes under 20:1, redraw curb radii to better facilitate crossing and spec new elevations to be poured in concrete and asphalt.

Usually, I would categorize this as work, and not my work but I refused. I put every single bit of creativity into the massive constraints imposed on the public realm. Perhaps the only person who ever see this as art is a blind person who can cross these busy intersections without fear. It is very possible that this art will never be appreciated by anyone except myself. But I am excited because it cannot be appreciated in a gallery, will never be featured in an art magazine or blog, and very few will ever know the artist behind it.

My Parents had a poster on our fridge growing up from Bread and Puppet theater which proclaimed "Art is like good bread! you can't eat it, but it feeds you!" Yes to all that. I'd like to bring that farther by saying that art cannot be removed from it's location, time, space and use. I think art should be in everything we use. Some bit of reverence in making your morning tea or coffee, the delicious qualities of sweat, helping carry somebody's bags, hearing the sounds of a crying baby and a mariachi band in a train platform as the train screeches in.

I think it comes down to recognition. An Artist is somebody who focuses on all of these good things - and more - and then is personally connected to them. But how much recognition do you feel you need? How much credit do you desire for your time?
Do you need to be doing what you want in order to make art?

I can see all kinds of benefits of artists throwing themselves into public policy, teaching, bike making, bartending, cooking, everything. Some of you do this already. All of you think about it. Do we need to call ourselves artists?

No comments: