Thursday, December 17, 2009

FOLKFACE

Hello Cascus, it's been a while. Since I last posted I have traveled to the following cities/towns: New York, Jackson Hole, Austin, San Francisco, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, and Takayama. Traveling is exciting and expensive. I'm broke again. I'm hopefully printing my portfolio in the next 2 days and will share some pictures of my attempts at bookbinding.

More recently, I completed a draft of a type system I've dubbed 'Folk'. I started playing with it back over the summer when I was trying to create some sort of emblem for Future Folk Records (shout out to my boo rod). At this point I think its a bit heavy handed for Future Folk (or for anything?) but I made it and I want to share it/get some feedback. Its not a typeface by any means, if anything it is a framework from which to build off of. Each glyph is like a bent up coat hanger, waiting to be played with, dipped in plaster, or tangled with other coat hangers. Yes, that is how I thought about it. Below are are the letters and then a couple experiments I done with them. The last concept I could imagine being beautiful on a large scale, perhaps as signage
, done with inch-thick rope, painted white/orange/grey. Anyone need any signage?










































































I hope everyone is doing well in their various endeavors.

stay strong,
hunter

3 comments:

celia said...

i like how all the letters are made from a continuous loop, or two in letters like a, p, o, if you 'untangle' them. they remind me of the command key symbol

Travis said...

you are too cute for words.

i really like the font. reminds me of futuristic cowboys. which is one the coolest things i can think of. and pretty much describes you at times. good self-portrait i guess.

claire said...

i'm really excited about these sculptural letter forms
keep working on these

xo
c