Monday, October 12, 2009

im the sunna rage n love






For the past 3 months I've been spending all my time working on costumes for a silly little play called American Idiot. Its a musical that uses all green day songs!!!! OMG! I have been making, shopping for, distressing and reconstructing costumes for 19 actors and an 8 piece onstage band. Each actor has like 6 looks, there are so many clothes! We had a budget of $33,000 to make and buy everything. We just got reviewed in the New York Times which is really exciting. There is talk that the play will move to Broadway after it closes here in Berkeley, and my costumes will go with it. There are dresses that I draped myself in the show, which means I looked at the designer's drawings and tried to make them real on a form, creating my own patterns. Also I got to design all the "punk" knee pads for the show, the actors do some pretty crazy dancing. Its been really fun! Also I met green day!



This is the New York Times review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/10/theater/reviews/10isherwood.html?scp=1&sq=american%20idiot&st=cse

Here are some pictures from the opening night party

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the play twice and its fun to watch a costume designers work on stage...it must have been fun shopping too..thrift stores and such! I am sure you had no problem being in Berkeley ! I am glad you had a great time! I want to see it again! i just might! that is if they november tix haven't sold out!
xxoo Suzanne

Travis said...

i read the article. pretty silly show. must have been tons of fun to make the clothes though. and great times in cali. if you come with the show to ny i want to see you.

also. weird. green day?
his teeth really crooked?