its been awhile since my last post so i thought i would let you know what i've been up to/show the two drawings i've spent a lot of the summer working on/with.
These drawings started in theory all the way back in portland, one night when josh and i talked about our work and drank lovely iced tea that josh made. I had been reading a lot of graphic novels (maybe too many) while i was in portland for those three weeks. and that night i was really having trouble thinking about what images/pieces i really wanted to make and josh, very expertly, suggested i look at the images i had been looking at all summer for inspiriation.
thus when i got to looking at the images and thinking about josh's advice about using those exact images i began tracing or transcribing if i can use the word my lead teacher Jason in Vermont (a genius about about painting and color that everyone should meet) used.
Here are the two drawings that I did this summer so far. they are pretty finished as far as i can tell in terms of the drawing, but all i have been thinking about is how to turn them into light sculptures. So i would have these drawings with areas cut out and a plexi-glass light box with one bulb in it shining out through them. i have been thinking a lot about memory and form.
i would love to hear all of your thoughts. i miss you all.
i am admittedly a little confused, but i feel good about this investigation. This is also a very vague post. I'm going to do some diagram drawings and make this clearer and easier to talk about. I'm also going to get better images up. I just needed to get this done so I could breathe.
6 comments:
how big are these drawings?
the top one is 3 ft x 2 ft and the bottom one is 4 ft by 3 ft.
i am going to take better images.
hey
i thought that maybe you would want to check out flashe paint, you can water is down and get it really thin, but it is essentially paint made out of vinyl, the way that acrylic is plastic. or i met a guy here that paints with resin that he dies. i dont know if either of them would be good for what you are looking for, but you could probably paint with flashe right on the glass, or the resin itself would be pretty transluscent.
-k
oh those both sound like great ideas. I will look into both. thanks so much kate. you're the best.
Hey Travis,
These look like they're really cool, but kind of hard to see. Do you have any better scans/pictures? I would love to see them more.
-C
these are a great direction Travis. I'd advise keeping up the same layering and playing with materials to see what pops. saweet.
Post a Comment